6 scrumptious snacks in under 30 minutes
Looking for some snack ideas when life gets busy? If you’re constantly on the move during the day, you probably don’t get a lot of time to sit down and eat properly.
These six quick and easy snack ideas are great for life on the go and are perfect for busy lifestyles. From chocolate bliss balls to five-minute vegan tacos, we’ve pulled together six simple snack ideas you can make in minutes.
1. Garlic Potato Wedges
These garlicky potato wedges are super-easy to make and are lovely and crisp without any deep-frying involved. You can add any herbs and spices you like, but garlic and a little spice works wonders, as does the addition of Parmesan cheese.
Alternatively, cheat with garlic potato wedges from McCain. Made from specially selected potatoes and sprinkled with roasted garlic seasoning, you can get these wedges from grill to plate in just 12 minutes flat.
- 3 large King Edward potatoes, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed/minced
- smoked paprika
- chilli powder
- black pepper
- salt, to taste
- small handful of grated Parmesan
- Crush or mince the garlic cloves, and add to a large bowl with the remaining spices
- Add the potatoes to the bowl
- Add a small drizzle of olive oil, then combine the ingredients until the potatoes are well coated with the spice mix
- Place on a baking tray and cook for 25 minutes at 200˚C
- Sprinkle the Parmesan on to the potatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.
2. Chocolate Bliss Balls
These quick and easy snacks are packed with nutritious, delicious ingredients and taste divine. Perfect for getting you from breakfast to lunch and lunch to dinner without noshing on something unhealthy!
- 90g oats
- 250g cocoa and hazelnut butter
- 125g smooth peanut butter
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl, except for the coconut and mix well.
- Using your hands, mould into small balls then roll through the coconut
- Put onto a tray or plate and refrigerate for roughly 20 minutes before eating.
3. Five-Minute Vegan Tacos
Tasty, nutritious and delicious, these speedy five-minute tacos might be vegan, but they certainly don’t skimp on flavour. You’ll no doubt be adding this one to your list of go-to weekday snack ideas.
- 4 wholewheat tortillas
- 1 grilled corn on the cob
- 170g cooked black beans
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 120g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 lime wedges
- salt and black pepper
- hot chilli sauce (optional)
- Divide the corn, black beans, avocado slices, quartered cherry tomatoes, chopped onion and parsley between the four tortillas.
- Scatter with ground cumin, lime juice, salt and black pepper.
- Garnish with your favourite hot chilli sauce.
4. Speedy Poached Egg and Avocado on Toast
From start to finish, this tasty snack will take you just under 10 minutes to make. Have it for breakfast, lunch or as a snack when you’re strapped for time. The secret to making beautiful poached eggs is using the rim of a Mason jar.
Real, nutritious food never tasted so good!
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices wholegrain bread
- ½ an avocado
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- parsley, thyme, or basil (topping)
- heirloom tomatoes, quartered (garnish)
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil.
- Immerse the metal rims of two Mason jar lids (outer rims only) into the saucepan so they’re lying flat on the bottom.
- Once the water is boiling, switch off the heat and gently crack the eggs straight onto each rim.
- Cover the saucepan and poach for roughly five minutes.
- Meanwhile, pop the bread in the toaster and smash the avocado on each piece of toast.
- When the eggs are cooked, lift them out of the water using a spatula.
- Carefully pull the rim off of the eggs and place on top of the toast.
- Scatter with Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and fresh herbs.
- Plate up with the fresh quartered heirloom tomatoes.
5. Healthy Chocolate Mug Cake
Have a craving for something chocolatey? This speedy, simple recipe is ideal for satisfying those extreme chocolate cravings without the guilt. Pure maple syrup sweetens this cake rather than refined sugar, making it a healthier option for when those chocolate cravings strike.
Sneak some mini chocolate chips into the batter or a nice dollop of ice cream on top for an extra-special treat.
- 2 tbsp whole-wheat pastry flour or gluten-free flour
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/16 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp coconut oil or unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tbsp plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp skimmed milk
- 2 ½ tsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Spritz a small coffee mug with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, beat together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, beat together the coconut oil, Greek yogurt, milk, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Slowly mix in the flour mixture, around one tablespoon at a time, mixing until almost combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared mug.
- Microwave on 30% power for roughly two-and-a-half minutes. Put the cake to one side and leave to cool for a few minutes before eating.
6. Easy Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato and Avocado Wrap
Tired of dull lunches? Consider including this easy bacon, lettuce, tomato and avocado wrap in your lunchbox.
- 6 slices cooked bacon
- 2-3 lettuce leaves
- 1/2 a tomato, sliced
- 1/2 an avocado, sliced
- 2 large tortillas
- 1 1/2 tbsp mayonnaise
- juice of ½ a lemon
- fresh cracked pepper
- Lay a lettuce leaf across each tortilla wrap and top with tomato, then bacon and avocado.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice and cracked pepper. Drizzle over the top and then fold the sides over each other to create a wrap.
- Slice in half and place in a lunchbox or immediately. Repeat to make two wraps.
Whether you’re seeking a quick dessert idea or savoury snack, be sure to try out these easy homemade treats which you can make in a flash. They’ll get you through the day without any running to the biscuit tin.