Cumin Turmeric Spicy Dhal Lentil Soup Recipe – Spring Liver Cleanse Diet
Last week I embarked on another Spring Liver Cleanse Diet and currently at day 10 of 21. Itâ€™s been going quite well this time around thanks to stocking up plenty from a trip to Costco and Fairway. The trick to the Spring Liver Cleanse really is get as much variety of vegetables and fruits otherwise youâ€™ll suffer from boredom. Most of the old favorite liver cleanse recipes such as Roasted Red Beets, Garlic Roasted Asparagus and Peppers, Roasted Butternut Squash, and a couple recipes from Sarma Melngailisâ€™s Living Raw Foods have done the trick but I decided this time around to branch out to some Asian inspired dishes such as this Three Lentil Dal Recipe that I modified from a Food and Wine recipe. I just got some beautifully colored lentils from Sahadiâ€™s Brooklyn and had to put them to great use.
Recipe: Cumin Turmeric Spicy Dhal Lentil Soup Recipe (adapted from Food and Wine’s 3 Lentil Dal )
Summary: Cumin Turmeric Spicy Dhal Lentil Soup
- Â¾ cup of yellow lentils
- Â¾ cup of green lentils
- Â¾ cup of red lentils
- 1 teaspoon of cumin or cumin seeds
- Â½ teaspoon of turmeric
- Â¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 onion yellow or red
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tomato
- Kosher salt
- First wash the lentils thoroughly by rinsing them with cold water over a fine sieve.
- When washed, drain and pour into a large dutch oven and fill with fresh water with about 1.5 inches of water is above the lentils.
- Turn heat to high to a boil, then reduce to simmer.
- Add a few tablespoons of salt, stir and allow to cook uncovered for about 30-40 mins till soft.
- Adjust water level to your liquidity taste (want it soupy or chunky?).
- Meanwhile, dice the onion to Â½ inch slices and fry with garlic over a medium pan coated with olive oil.
- Add cumin and a teaspoon of salt.
- Fry for about 6 minutes at medium heat till onions are translucent.
- Next, add in the turmeric and cayenne pepper.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil and then add in the tomato.
- Continue to fry for about 3-5mins till your sauce becomes a thick paste.
- Once dhal is ready, stir in the sauce into the dhal and serve immediately.
- You can garnish with some cilantro, salt and pepper.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegan
Diet (other): Low calorie, High protein
Meal type: supper
Culinary tradition: Middle Eastern