Just got this interesting email about a Jewish cook off competition this Thursday Feb 1st in New York:
Don’t Miss “Souper Bowl” Thursday Jewish Food is More than Matzo Ball Soup
Introducing The First-Ever National “Simply Great Jewish Food”
A LIVE Cooking Competition
When: Thursday, February 1, 2007- 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Where: The New York Marriott Marquis Hotel-Empire Room
1535 Broadway and 45th St, NYC
Meet Susie Fishbein – Queen of Kosher Food – author of New Kosher By Design- Short On Time
Join Us for Lunch and Watch a Live Cooking Competition
WHAT: The first ever national kosher cooking competition debuts the six finalists selected from among thousands
* Learn how Kosher Jewish cuisine is the “hottest” new specialty food category trend among Kosher and Non Kosher consumers- get ideas for Super Bowl beyond Soup
* Six finalists selected from thousands across the country, in action as they prepare their “Simply Kosher” recipe in one hour, before a live audience and prestigious judging panel for a chance to win a new kitchen General Electric, cash and the title of “National Simply Manischewitz Champion”
* Meet the prestigious panel of experts including Susie Fishbein, author of NEW Kosher By Design; Short on Time and three other Kosher By Design cookbooks. Susie’s books have made the NY Times Best Sellers list. She is considered the Diva of Kosher Cuisine and has made kosher cooking an exciting ethnic trend; George McNeil- CMC Vice President, Culinary Corporate Chef Ritz Carlton; Chef Bill Strynkowski of Cooking Light, Executive Chef Achilles Poliviou of the Marriott Marquis and more…
* Thirty semi-finalists competed in live cook-offs in New Jersey, Florida and California from October through December. These six finalists showed they had what it takes and were selected from those regional events to make their national debut in New York.
* Great recipe ideas and new products for Super Bowl Parties, Passover and beyond
* The finalists and their recipes are:
1) Sharon Ricci from Mendon, NY “Matzo Brunch Bake”
2) Rayzel Yaish from Bergenfield, NJ “Middle Eastern Falafel Stuffed Peppers”
3) Candace McMenamin from Lexington, SC “Sweet Potato Encrusted Chicken”
4) Laura Diamond from Apopka, FL “Savory Stuffed Mushroom”
5) Michaela Rosenthal from Woodland Hills, CA “Whitefish and Potato Knish”
6) Andrea Bloom from Long Beach, CA “Pea and Fennel Soup”
Brought in part by Manischewitz, the leader in quality specialty kosher foods for over 118 years, invited food lovers nationwide to enter for the chance to be one of 30 semi-finalist compete in one of three live, judged regional cook-offs in: Northern New Jersey in October; Southern Florida in November; and in Southern California in December with a chance to become a semi-finalist and win $50 (ARV) in prizes. Finalists will receive $2,000 (ARV) in prizes and will advance to the final competition in New York City in February 2007 to compete for the Grand Prize valued at $20,000 (ARV), including a complete set of GE Profile kitchen appliances with a total estimated retail value of $10,000; and a $5,000 check from Manischewitz.
“Manischewitz is providing the perfect forum for home cooks to display their culinary talents of both kosher and non-kosher keeping,” said David Rossi, VP, Marketing, Manischewitz. “The competition is designed to encourage creativity and to approach tradition with a twist.”
About R.A.B. Food Group
The R.A.B. Food Group, LLC is a specialty food company that includes the Manischewitz®, Season®, Guiltless Gourmet®, Asian Harvest™, Horowitz Margareten® and Goodman’s® Rokeach and Mispacha brands. The company offers a diversified line of premium food products that cover over 60 different categories.
The Manischewitz brand was founded in a small bakery built to make Passover matzo in 1888 by Rabbi Dov Behr Manischewitz in Cincinnati, Ohio. In 1932, Rabbi Manischewitz opened a plant in Jersey City, NJ, replacing the operation in Cincinnati. This move paved the way for the introduction of new products like Tam Tam Crackers, Chicken Soup, Noodles and Gefilte Fish. Today, Manischewitz continues to introduce unique, delicious, premium specialty food products such as Pareve Cake Mix and Wasabi Creamy Horseradish sauce.
For more Cook-off contest details, log onto www.manischewitz.com