Chicken and Okra Gumbo Recipe
If you like thick sauces with intense flavors (who doesn’t), then this Chicken and Okra recipe is for you! Because it’s flour based, it does take some time to cook in however – you start by making a roux which takes about 1.5 hours. But believe me it’s well worth it for the thick chicken stock flavors to blend in. Serve over rice.
Recipe: Chicken and Okra Gumbo
Summary: Modified off of a Food and Wine Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil
- 1 large white onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 large celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth ( I like to use the drippings off of a chicken instead and fresh bones from a roasted chicken to be removed later)
- 6 ounces andouille links, thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons Walkerswood Jamaican Jerk Paste / Sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon smoked hot paprika
- 3/4 pound fresh or thawed frozen okra, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- One 3 1/2-pound rotisserie chicken—meat shredded, skin and bones discarded
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Steamed rice, for serving
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1.In dutch oven pan, mix flour with 1/2 cup of oil until smooth. Cook the roux over moderately low heat, whisking frequently until dark brown, about 1 hour and 30 minutes. Then add in the chopped onions, celery, bell peppers and garlic and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until the onion is translucent, about 20 minutes.
- 2.Gradually add the chicken stock to the casserole, whisking until smooth. Add the andouille, bay leaves, jerk paste, thyme and paprika and bring to a simmer. Cook over low heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3.Add the okra to the casserole and simmer until tender, 15 minutes. Stir in the chicken meat and season the gumbo with salt, pepper and Tabasco. Discard the bay leaves, ladle the gumbo over rice, garnish with the scallions and serve with Tabasco.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s) 40 minute(s)