Sun 1 May 2011
Cumin Turmeric Spicy Dhal Lentil Soup Recipe – Spring Liver Cleanse Diet
Last week I embarked on another Spring Liver Cleanse Diet and currently at day 10 of 21. It’s been going quite well this time around thanks to stocking up plenty from a trip to Costco and Fairway. The trick to the Spring Liver Cleanse really is get as much variety of vegetables and fruits otherwise you’ll suffer from boredom. Most of the old favorite liver cleanse recipes such as Roasted Red Beets, Garlic Roasted Asparagus and Peppers, Roasted Butternut Squash, and a couple recipes from Sarma Melngailis’s Living Raw Foods have done the trick but I decided this time around to branch out to some Asian inspired dishes such as this Three Lentil Dal Recipe that I modified from a Food and Wine recipe. I just got some beautifully colored lentils from Sahadi’s Brooklyn and had to put them to great use.
Recipe: Cumin Turmeric Spicy Dhal Lentil Soup Recipe (adapted from Food and Wine’s 3 Lentil Dal )
Summary: Cumin Turmeric Spicy Dhal Lentil Soup
- ¾ cup of yellow lentils
- ¾ cup of green lentils
- ¾ cup of red lentils
- 1 teaspoon of cumin or cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 onion yellow or red
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tomato
- Kosher salt
- First wash the lentils thoroughly by rinsing them with cold water over a fine sieve.
- When washed, drain and pour into a large dutch oven and fill with fresh water with about 1.5 inches of water is above the lentils.
- Turn heat to high to a boil, then reduce to simmer.
- Add a few tablespoons of salt, stir and allow to cook uncovered for about 30-40 mins till soft.
- Adjust water level to your liquidity taste (want it soupy or chunky?).
- Meanwhile, dice the onion to ½ inch slices and fry with garlic over a medium pan coated with olive oil.
- Add cumin and a teaspoon of salt.
- Fry for about 6 minutes at medium heat till onions are translucent.
- Next, add in the turmeric and cayenne pepper.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil and then add in the tomato.
- Continue to fry for about 3-5mins till your sauce becomes a thick paste.
- Once dhal is ready, stir in the sauce into the dhal and serve immediately.
- You can garnish with some cilantro, salt and pepper.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegan
Diet (other): Low calorie, High protein
Meal type: supper
Culinary tradition: Middle Eastern
If you liked that post, then try these...