Black Bean Chipotle Tacos
From Olivier G.
A few years ago I visited my friend Olivier out in Barcelona. After a few visits to the local Absinthe bars and 1.5 liters of Bushmills, most of the vacation is kind of a blur but one thing I do remember is this simple recipe for making great tasting tacos. The ingredients themselves are really cheap and you end up with a large batch of taco supplies that can last you easily a few days.
1) a package of corn tortillas (small size)
2) one large yellow onion
3) 1/2 lb mozzarella cheese or your choice of other cheese
4) a can of Morena Chiptole sauce
5) Goya brand Sazon
6) 1lb of dried black beans
7) olive oil (2-3 tablespoons)
1) Wash and rinse dried black beans, then soak overnight (if you are pressed for time soak for at least 2 hours)
2) Peel and chop onion into small slices and sautee in a large wok over low heat with a few tablespoons of olive oil.
3) Add one package of Goya Sazon and continue to sautee till onions are translucent.
4) Pour beans along with the water they’ve been soaking in.
5) Turn up heat to high to boil then turn down to low and cover the beans with a lid.
7) Continue to simmer and stir occasionally for about 1 hour or until beans are almost soft. Most of the water should have boiled off in the process but if there is remaining water, turn heat to high to assist in boiling off the excess water.
8) Remove beans from heat.
9) Pour 1 tsp of olive oil to a frying pan and add a small tortilla.
10) Fry both sides of tortilla till crispy brown on both sides.
11) Add sliced cheese and fold tortilla and remove from heat.
12) Open the melted cheese taco and add beans and chiptole sauce to taste.
13) Serve immediately
You can store the black beans in a solid tight container. Be sure to use a clean spoon / fork every time you serve the beans as they will keep longer in the refrigerator. These prepared black beans are also great with rice or in salad.